How to Install MySQL on Linux Mint 19
Install MySQL on Linux Mint
MySQL is one of the most popular opensource database management systems. MySQL is a relational database system. It is part of LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack and LEMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack. In this tutorial, you are going to learn how to install MySQL on Linux Mint 19.
Before you start to install MySQL on Linux Mint 19. You must have the root user account credentials of your system.
Following are the steps to install MySQL on Linux Mint. First, you need to update the package manager index and then you can install MySQL-Server on Linux Mint 19.
apt package manager index by typing following command:
sudo apt update
Now to install
mysql-server package run below command:
sudo apt install mysql-server
Now confirm the installation and check MySQL version typing following command:
After completing installation MySQL will start automatically. Check MySQL version by typing:
sudo systemctl status mysql
The output should be:
● mysql.service - MySQL Community Server Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mysql.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled) Active: active (running) since Wed 2018-06-20 11:30:23 PDT; 5min ago Main PID: 17382 (mysqld) Tasks: 27 (limit: 2321) CGroup: /system.slice/mysql.service `-17382 /usr/sbin/mysqld --daemonize --pid-file=/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
You can log in to MariaDB by typing
mysql -u root -p
Setting Up MySQL
After installation, we have to improve MySQL security by typing the following:
The above command will take you to different prompts. In the first prompt, it will ask you to configure
Validate Password Plugin which is used to set password validation strength and the levels are low, medium and high. You can prefer any of the strength levels you want to set. If you don’t want to set up the
Validate Password Plugin just press
ENTER. In the next prompts, you will be asked questions about increasing Security of MySQL. It is recommended to answer ‘Y’ for all questions asked during secure installation.
You have successfully learned how to install MySQL on Linux Mint 19. If you have any queries please don’t forget to comment out.
- How to Add Swap Space on Debian 10
- How to Use grep Command in Linux with Examples
- How to setup Cron Job on Ubuntu 18.04
- How to Install Ruby on Ubuntu 18.04
- How to install Krita on Debian 9
- How to Install Mozilla Firefox on Linux Mint 19
- How to Install Apache Tomcat 9 on Debian 10
- How to Set Up Cron Job on CentOS 8
- How to Install WebStorm on Debian 9
- How to Install MySQL on Linux Mint 19
- How to Install WordPress with LAMP Stack on CentOS 8
- Secure Apache with Let’s Encrypt SSL on Debian 10