Table of Contents
Reboot Linux System with Command Line
Whenever you install updates or do certain network tasks, a time comes when you need to Reboot or halt or shut down the system. There are a variety of utilities comes with every Linux system which allows rebooting the system. In this tutorial, you are going to learn how to reboot Linux System with Command-Line.
1. Reboot Linux System
Follow the below instructions to restart the Linux system:
1. Log in to your Linux system with a sudo account.
2. Now type the following command in the terminal and hit
or you can also execute the following command:
sudo shutdown -r now
Here executing the above command successfully, your system will start rebooting automatically.
2. Reboot Linux at Specific Time or Schedule Restart
You can schedule a restart or reboot the Linux system at a specific time by using
shutdown command with
The Basic syntax to schedule a restart is given below:
sudo shutdown –r [TIME_TO_RESTART] [MESSAGE_TO_BROADCAST]
To restart the system at 4:00 am you can run the following command:
sudo shutdown –r 04:00
The output should be:
Similarly to shutdown system at 1:00 pm, you can run below command:
sudo shutdown -r 13:00
You can also broadcast a message when restarting the system:
sudo shutdown -r 13:00 "restarting the system with message"
3. Reboot Linux after Specific TimeYou can also reboot the system after some time from the current time. Let’s see some examples:
To reboot the system after 10 minutes you can run the following command:
sudo shutdown -r +10
The output should be:
Similarly to reboot the system after 30 minutes you can run the following command:
sudo shutdown -r +30
4. Cancel the RebootAfter setting reboot you can also cancel it. To cancel the reboot of Linux system you should use
-c flag with shutdown command:
sudo shutdown -c
You can also broadcast a message when canceling restart:
sudo shutdown -r 13:00 "canceling restart the system with message"
5. Restart the system with root userWhen you are logged in as a root user you can restart the system with the following command:
or You can restart the system with
# /sbin/shutdown -r now
6. Reboot Linux RemotelyYou can reboot Linux system remotely using
To reboot the system you can run the following command:
ssh [email protected]_SERVER_ADDRESS.com /sbin/reboot
ssh [email protected]_SERVER_ADDRESS.com /sbin/shutdown -r now